Wednesday, January 14, 2009

sometimes
Current mood: amused
Category: Life

Sometimes I look behind me at my littlest daughter trailing behind me, plastic backpack on, doll wrapped in a"blanket" cradled in her arms, chapstick gripped in her fist, while the other hand pats wildly against the dolls back, her crooning, "you full baby?" "you full" while tripping over her own awkward baby feet, following me, her mommy, she is my little imp, my little girl, tripping her way into girlhood, she dreams about baby dolls and stickers, "chap stips" and bows, bears, tights, dancing, and cuddling. I have had a daughter since I was twenty years old but it was not until recently, with the growth and maturing of my second, that I realize that the female is a species unto itself. A species that should make its home, under the petal of a flower, with puppies and fairies as friends and a sky the color of pink, the grass purple(the only two colors little girls care about), and the air sparkly. This is what I see and this is what I think when I turn to see her stout little figure trailing behind, eyes shining as she stares into her babies eyes.

Ah but sometimes, if her sister is near, that cute little face will contort into a devilish sneer as she lashes out screeching and backhands her sister for walking too close...Ah again I say, a species unto itself. Woman. Girl. The complexities are like no other.

No comments:

Post a Comment