Wednesday, January 14, 2009

dance party u.s.a
Current mood: amused
Category: Music

as of just now, I particiapated in a dance party...with my daughters. for the first fifteen minutes, I watched them as they tore through song after song, spinning wildly, clad in feather boas and fairy wings, turning somersaults for emphasis. I smiled, I clapped at the right times and my youngest daughter stole the show. her ability to keep a rhthym...phenomenal. I must say, I was being a bit of a party pooper, glancing at the clock from time to time, thinking of the laundry that needed folding before their bath. that was until my eldest daughter said,"o.k. mom...its your turn!" "oh no" I said. "I don't dance, I can't dance," "oh come on!" they both squealed in unison." "dance mom!" "fine" I said "if it means you will leave me alone and pick up the feathers from that boa when I am done." "what song are you gonna pick?" they asked..."I get a choice?" well apparently the answer to that one was yes and no. a choice from their music...blah, crappy over synthed little girl music. so I chose a catchy hip hop song that sampled from "shining star" and strangely, at this point, though I go out dancing all of the time with friends, I got nervous. the music was low and their eyes were trained upon me in anticipation...the music started and I...tore it up. busting out silly hip hop moves coupled with some breakdancing six step and top rock. they were screaming wildly, egging me on until I dragged them in and we were all dancing, my youngest daughter and I mirroring one anothers moves, my eldest daughter doing the swim and the twist until finally...the song ended and I collapsed to the floor a little out of breath and looked around at my children. their faces were beaming and it was then that I realized that sometimes it is o.k. to put off doing the laundry or cleaning the house when it means you get to play and dance with your baby girls and feel as though the world could end right now and things would feel complete.

so now, according to them, I am a liar who can dance better than anyone in the whole world. ha. hahahaaaa. well, I am THEIR momma after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment