Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Not too small and not too tall...
Current mood: contemplative
Category: Jobs, Work, Careers

I thought he was a hustler. A laid back young man, always smiling, always hustlin', little voice crackin' I realized that his hustle was just part of his eagerness. His eagerness to please.

I asked him for a cigarette once. He said he didn't smoke. That he had a hole in his lung and he couldn't. I blew him off and then asked him later. Asked him how it happened. "I got jumped by fifteen niggers" he says. I was stunned for a moment. stunned by his word usage, aware of its contrast to his usual way of speaking. I prodded him into telling it all...He doesnt remember, only remembers going to the store, seeing them and then....they beat him repeatedly, kicking holes into his skin, shattering his ribs, ripping open his spleen, his liver(at this point, after telling me that his lung was punctured by his rib, he looks to his big brother, and says, "hey dude, what else did they do to me? wasn't there something wrong with my spleen or something?" "your spleen and your liver were ripped open") the list goes on, til he finishes it off with "then they put me in a shopping cart, and pushed me through a plate glass window..." "I woke up and saw them walking away..." the boy is only about 5ft tall, and tiny. dropped out of high school in the ninth grade(though I am pushing him to go back, and get his GED, show the world and himself how tough he truly is) he is the nicest, most eager to please young man, that I might add is none too shabby.

people take advantage of him a lot. thinking him to be little, weak, stupid. It is too bad that they don't know what I know. that he is not too small, even if he ain't that tall. He is alive, still smiling, still trying to love and be loved, despite the cruelty in the world...they used him like a rag doll, a kick toy. due to his size, due to his demeanor. he sold them pills once, some weed, so what? they used him as an out for their rage, like children ripping the wings off a fly, they took him for one of the weak ones. I am proud to see that he is not. he woke up, through the pain, he saw them walking away. his body did not give up. he kept breathing, and ha ha ha he kept on hustling.

I just wanted to give a little shout out to my lil' friend, the hustler.

No comments:

Post a Comment